Saturday, November 16, 2013

Does Poetry Matter?

Of course it does. That's an easy question to answer. Poetry tells us stories from the past, both historical and fiction, and brings a sense of whimsical romanticism to daily lives. I enjoy poetry because of the sounds of the rhyming words, and the topics which poets write on. Anything, from simple conversation to an ode about someone, can sound amazing when read in proper stanza and time. Poetry is a lot like music. It makes you feel happy. Dana Gioia gives the reader of her article at least two reasons why poetry matters. She connects poetry to the freedom of speech, and says that poetry gives you the power to understand language. The other reason she gives is that the decline in poetry shows a decline in other art forms, all of which an intellectual society should not lose.

If the question had been " Does poetry matter to the youth of America?", I would have answered no. Poetry does not matter to most people, let alone the youth and even most people in college. Isn't that one of the reasons we studied fiction before moving to poetry in our class? Little to no one cares about poetry any more because it is "hard". It's hard to write a poem, its hard to read poetry, and its even harder to make out the jumble of words. American youth would much rather watch television or eat Taco Bell than ever consider writing or listening to poetry.

The ultimate question should be: How can we make poetry matter? We can do this by making it more enjoyable for the youth. If kids would realize that some of their favorite musicians, especially in the rap genre, are poets kids would appreciate poetry more. Now if rap music was cleaner, and less derogatory towards women...

3 comments:

  1. Goodness me, what is wrong with the generation of today? Poetry is everywhere, prose poetry! Do you listen to music of any kind? It rhymes, its lyrical, its poetry! I was reading and writing poetry when i was in grade school, does that make me old? or maybe just a lover of literature. Or maybe it's the problem with American youths, they have video games instead of books, television instead of radio (npr). Not all rap is derogitory towards women, some songs empower women, "You can sip it, you can lick it you can taste it, I'm talking every drop...don't you waste it, such a tasty treat." -Lil Kim I guess you have to know which rap to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, you hit it right on the head! Great blog post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the last comment. It's tough for me to think about pointing students in the direction of rap music as poetry because the situation and imagery often ruffle my feathers...The man I dated before I met my husband listened to Insane Clown Posse, and they had a song about a guy who gets mad at his girlfriend. Because he is mad, he kills her cat and stuffs it in her mailbox. I remember crying when I heard the lyrics and then getting instantly mad at that boyfriend. How could he listen to that, I wondered.

    ReplyDelete